My good friend Jackie, the designer behind Believe Notes, recently wrote a post about herself. We've all been talking so much about our work lately. It's fun to showcase our new collections (I know I can't wait to show you mine!!) but like Jackie, I want you to get to know me a bit better, too! After all, we're going to be spending quite a bit of time together and working closely on your stationery.. so shouldn't you know who I am? What makes me tick?
Here are ten things about myself that you probably didn't know!
1. While it's completely obvious that pink and gold are my favorite colors, I don't own a single article of clothing in either color. I wear silver or white gold jewelry, though my husband did buy me a gorgeous gold necklace for Christmas that I've worn once (partially because it's delicate and Chloe is still in the grabby-necklace-stage).
Family Photo, September 2012 | Photography by Leeann Marie
2. Art has been my life for my entire life. I started taking art lessons when I was 5, and continued through high school. I was accepted into college as a fine arts major, but switched to Communications after I decided to get into advertising and multimedia instead. I learned how to use Adobe Illustrator when I was 18, and I haven't looked back since. My first "jobs" was working for local punk bands (seriously!!) designing flyers for shows, which turned into designing websites -- which is how I taught myself HTML and CSS. I got to meet some of the coolest people (I had pancakes with Boy Sets Fire!!) but ultimately, my heart is in the wedding industry.
3. Almost seven years ago, my (now) husband texted me from Virginia Beach and told me that he was bored. I didn't have anything better to do, so I drove eight hours to hang out with him. I got my first, and only, speeding ticket in the process. He made me a waffle for breakfast the next morning. We will be married for five years this summer, and every weekend we have home made waffles. That's five amazing years of home made waffles.
Chloe eats waffles with us now, too.
4. I'm a sucker for reality TV but am way too embarrassed to admit to you what shows I watch ::coughteenmom::. On the other hand, I WILL admit that I also get sucked into TV shows years after they've been on TV. I almost never watch a "new" show on television. I also fall into the category of people who find a show on Netflix, watch the entire series in three days, and don't know what to do with myself after the series has ended. The Mister and I are currently obsessed with Shameless. Does anyone else watch this show?
5. I never had any pets growing up, though I did rescue a gorgeous cat my senior year of college. I named her Bella, which is Italian for "beautiful". We adopted a second cat, Maya, so Bella would have a companion. Sadly, Bella passed away in 2010 from cancer. Maya seemed so very lonely, so we adopted Bailey. Today, Maya and Bailey are the very best of friends (but Bella will always have a place in my heart!)
6. I am terrified of spiders. Stop-dead-in-my-tracks-cannot-breathe-terrified. You know the candy commercial where the tiny spider morphs into a gigantic spider, picks up the person and flings him across the room? I think that's going to happen every.single.time.
Bella was a Norwegian Forest Cat and loved to sit in boxes.
7. I judge commercials and product packaging by their font choices. A local pizza place uses Papyrus on their boxes and it makes me cringe every time we order out!
8. I lovelovelove coffee. So does my husband. Between the two of us, we drink almost two pots of coffee each morning. My Starbucks addiction is admittedly out of control.
9. I used to be a night owl, but now I'm a morning person. I find myself waking up between 6-7am, even on the weekends, and ready to start my day! Even if I am up into the wee hours of the morning the night before, I'm up at the crack of dawn.
10. I've never understood the hype about macrons. My uncle was in France a few weeks ago on business, and brought me back assorted macarons. One bite and I was hooked. Suddenly, I get the hype. I'm especially in love with the chocolate and espresso flavored ones!